This is a pitch I submitted to DC’s Ideas United contest back on November 17th, 2019. According to the official rules, the rights reverted back to me on December 31st, 2019.
One of the biggest advantages that DC Universe has over all other streaming services is its massive library of comics! Which is why my pitch is a show that makes use of that massive library and encourages subscribers to use it: DC Universe Book Club
Some of the best insights and things I’ve taken from comics have been with discussions with my friends about them, and I think that’s an experience that could be replicated with a DC Universe show. Each episode would be a self-contained discussion led by DC-savvy influencers about the all of the great comics DC Universe has to offer, which subscribers would then be able to read as well using the app.
A self-contained talk show where DC-savvy hosts and influencers detail and discuss iconic and beloved DC Comics storylines. Think Oprah’s Book Club meets The Talking Dead.
Episode 1 would feature a fan-favorite storyline that would help introduce viewers to the format: Batman and the Court of Owls. The series would have a repeatable format which could be applied to any storyline that DC would want to talk about.
- Intro (1-2 Minutes): The hosts introduce themselves, what the show is about, and the storyline they’re discussing today.
- Publishing History (2-3 minutes): One host give a brief breakdown of the publishing history of the book. For Court of Owls it could start with something like “In 2011 after the wake of Flashpoint, DC Comic launched a new publishing initiative: The New 52. Featuring new and familiar takes on iconic DC heroes, the New 52 was a complete reboot of the DC Universe. One of the flagship books was Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo’s Batman…”
- What’s it about (1-2 minutes): A different host would give a breakdown of what happens in the storyline and gives a warning to the viewers that there will be spoilers.
- Discussion (20 minutes): The meat of the show, this is where the hosts can discuss the comic itself including art and colors, writing, character moments and arcs, themes etc.
- Sign-off (1-2 minutes): The hosts thank viewers for tuning in, remind them that this and all of the comics they discuss on the show are available to read on the DC Universe App
Season 1 Synopsis
Season 1 can be as short or as long as necessary to gauge subscriber interest. By discussing a mix of classic comics and underrated critical darlings, you can reach a wide range of interests and encourage subscribers to check out titles they might not have otherwise.
Some great storylines that could be discussed in season 1:
- All-Star Superman
- New Teen Titans
- Gail Simone’s Secret Six
- Tom King’s Omega Men
- Gotham By Gaslight
Approximately 25 minutes
As a talk show, a lot wouldn’t be necessary for production compared to a more expansive game show or touring reality show. What would be required is:
- 4 knowledgeable hosts to talk about the comics (Using the already recruited DC Fans would be a great option: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2Ua5arV3Xl5eoDjeP1tvng)
- Talk show set (The DC Daily set or something similar would work perfectly)
- Fixed Camera Crew
- While not required, some animated comic graphics during the “Publishing History” and “What’s it About” sections would to a lot to engage viewers right off the bat.
Why Do You Believe In Your Idea?
As a big comic fan and a regular attendee and speaker at local comic-cons, I see a hunger for in-depth discussion about their favorite comics from fans. People will travel miles, across several states to be able to go to comic-cons and be with their fellow fans, and I think a show like DC Universe Book Club would be a great way to bring that community to them.
In addition, comic reviews, recaps, and discussion are huge on Youtube. A Youtube video summarizing the first issue of DCeased by Comics Explained has 249,000 views alone. People are already watching hours of video like this, it’s just not being offered by DC right now. There’s no reason why DC can’t be making content of that caliber for DC Universe and keeping those viewers in the app instead of losing them to Youtube.
I’m pitching this show because I think it would be a ton of fun for fans, a fairly affordable to produce show for DC Universe, an easy way to highlight all of the wonderful comics that make DC possible, and a great way to capitalize on the hunger for comics discussion and breakdowns. Thank you for your consideration!